Immigration Information

Working at UF Scripps

Types of Immigration Documents

An immigration document enables a foreign national to apply for a particular visa stamp at a US Embassy or Consulate abroad for entry into the US. The following is a list of visa eligibility documents associated with the most common visa statuses used at UF Scripps. (Please note information below is subject to change. For more information visit the U.S. Department of State.)

  • F-1: Full-time student in academic program. Immigration document is I-20.
  • J-1: Full-time student, professor, researcher or short-term scholar. Immigration document is DS-2019.
  • H-1B: Worker in Specialty Occupation. Immigration document is I-797 Approval Notice.
  • TN: For Canadians and Mexican nationals. (Trade NAFTA). Immigration document is Letter of Employment.
  • O-1: Alien of Extraordinary Ability. Immigration document is I-797 Approval Notice.
  • B-1: Visitor for Business. Immigration document is an invitation letter describing activities.
  • WB: VWP Visitor for Business. Immigration document is an invitation letter describing activities.

Immigration Glossary


An “EAD” is an Employment Authorization Document, which is issued by the US Department of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to various classes of non-immigrants and pending immigrants to allow for work in the US. Statuses which allow for employment authorization include F-1 graduated students, J-2 dependents, pending immigrants, refugees, asylees and those in temporary protected status (TPS). The following are visa types that never qualify for employment authorization: visitors using B-1, B-2, WB or WT status; or dependents using F-2 or TD status. A J-2 dependent may apply for an EAD and work if one is granted.

Non-Immigrant Visa

A foreign national who seeks temporary entry to the US for a specific purpose and plans to return to their country of residence applies for a non-immigrant visa, such as those listed under Types of Immigration Documents. The foreign national must have a permanent residence abroad (for most classes of admission) and qualify for the non-immigrant classification sought.


All foreign national student, scholars, and employees must have a valid passport at all times while residing in the US. At the time of entry into the US, the foreign national’s passport must be valid at least 6 months into the future. Passports can be renewed at the scholar’s home country embassy or consulate. Click here to view a list of Foreign Consulates.


SEVIS is an acronym for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. This is a federal government database that allows schools, research institutes, USCIS, US Embassies and Consulates, and US Ports of Entry (POE) to exchange information regarding individuals in F-1, F-2, J-1 and J-2 visa status. The ISO at Scripps Research must input data into SEVIS to track and monitor the arrival, activity in the US, and departure of individuals in F and J visa status.

Visa Stamp

Visa stamps are issued at US Embassies and Consulates abroad. The visa stamp is affixed to a page in the passport and is a travel document only. It allows foreign nationals to apply for entry at a US Port of Entry, (i.e. an airport, seaport, or land border crossing). Once entry is permitted, the scholar enters the US in the non-immigrant status that matches the visa classification.

It is important to note that a visa stamp does not permit entry into the US. A visa stamp simply indicates that your application has been reviewed by a US Consular Officer at a US Embassy or Consulate, and that the officer has determined that you are eligible to enter the country for a specific purpose.

A visa stamp allows you to travel to the US as far as the Port of Entry (airport or land border crossing) and ask the US Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) Officer to allow you to enter the country. Only the USCBP Officer has the authority to permit you to enter the US. He/she decides how long you can stay for any particular visit.

For more information about visa stamps, please see the Department of State website.