The (Virtual) Diversity Visitation Event for Research and Graduate Education (DiVERGE) program for undergraduate students interested in biomedical research careers is designed to give participants an in-depth preview of our Summer Undergraduate Research Fellows (SURF) program, Postbaccalaureate Research and Education Program (PREP), and top-10-ranked doctoral program in the chemical and biological sciences. DiVERGE provides participants with valuable tips on preparing a successful graduate school application, student and faculty perspectives on how to succeed in graduate school, and an understanding of the vast array of career paths available to STEM doctoral degree holders.
The next DiVERGE program will be held virtually on January 19-20, 2023.
While open to all students interested in biomedical research, UF Scripps Biomedical Research’s DiVERGE Program is especially geared toward students from underrepresented minority groups or disadvantaged backgrounds, including individuals from low-income families or first-generation science students. Special consideration also will be given to students enrolled in Florida universities and colleges.
Eligibility is limited to undergraduate students currently enrolled at a college or university in the U.S. who are currently in their sophomore, junior or senior year.
Students who are selected for DiVERGE attend special workshops and talks led by our faculty, meet with current graduate students, tour state-of-the-art research laboratories, or attend scientific seminars.
Students participating in the DiVERGE program will learn about:
- Ongoing research projects at UF Scripps Biomedical Research
- Internships, and the graduate program, including how to apply
- Crafting successful graduate school and internship applications
- Writing an effective personal and research statement
- Constructing and giving a compelling self-introduction
- Science identity and the culture of science
Applicants are encouraged to submit the following information and documents by December 15, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. ET:
Please fill out the form below to join the virtaul DiVERGE conference at UF Scripps
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR APPLICATION
- Your unofficial academic transcript
- Your current resume or CV
- One reference contact information
- A personal statement describing your purpose in applying to the DiVERGE program. Topics you may wish to address include, but are not limited to: Why are you interested in this program? What are your goals for this experience? What career paths are you considering? What types of research being conducted at UF Scripps Biomedical Research particularly interest you and why?